OXFORD CLARET METALLIC (QUEEN MOTHER) JAGUAR MKVIIM
The Jaguar Mark VII was a large four door sports sedan launched by Jaguar Cars at the 1950 London Motor Show. The chassis came from the Jaguar Mark V with which the Mark VII shared its wheelbase. For this latest offering Jaguar designed a modern and streamlined looking body, featuring fully integrated headlights and mudguards along with an increased rear overhang which gave the car enhanced presence. As on the Mark V, the upper part of the rear wheels was covered by the body work. In place of its predecessor’s flat windscreen, the Mark VII design included a two piece front screen, later versions had a gently curved one piece screen.
The 3442 cc straight six engine provided the same 160 bhp (119.3 kW) power output. Despite its size, a top speed in excess of 100 mph (160 km/h) was claimed.
The Jaguar Mark VII’s arrival coincided with some relaxation of the desperate economic situation after the war. By the time of the models’ 1954 upgrade, 20,908 had been produced